Observations on the sports weekend for us D.C. sports fans:
1) The Redskins have major problems, judging by yesterday against the Giants. Absolutely no pressure on Eli Manning (notwithstanding 2 sacks by the Skins), and it had to take a fake FG to bring about a TD in order to spark the offense. And a message to LaRon Landry, from me: STOP trying to be Sean Taylor 2.0, and focus on being LaRon Landry 1.0!!! The penalty for hitting Brandon Jacobs out of bounds was flat-out stupid, LaRon!!!
2) Why Craig Littlepage, the A.D. at Virginia, hasn't fired Al Groh after the disaster Saturday against TCU remains a mystery to us Wahoo fans. Bad enough you lose to a fricking 1-AA team (William and Mary) last week; now you bend over for Horned Frogs?? The only reason Al still has this job, is (supposedly) that it would cost U. Va. mondo moolah to buy him out. Don't let that stand in the way, Craig; FIRE HIS A*S*S NOW!!!
3) On the subject of 1-AA teams...if I'm Ralph Friedgen, I'm shaking my head over how James Madison took Maryland to (this farce the NCAA calls) overtime, before JMU lost 38-35. Ralph, it's a 1-AA team that did this!!! (Full disclosure: Harrisonburg, VA...where JMU is located...is an hour's drive from my place.) I mean, after California did such a pimp-smack on Maryland the week before...c'mon, Ralph, admit it; you thought this would be a slam-dunk, right?? Yeah, right...like Michigan thought Applalachian State was a slam-dunk. (And we know what happened then, don't we??)
4) Ian Desmond is making it harder for the Nationals' front office to say "Hey, let's send him back to Syracuse next year". Yeah, I know; at some point these next 3 weeks he'll go into a slump. But you have to admit, he fits into the Nats' plans for the future. (Full disclosure #2: I saw him @ Harrisburg last year. I knew then, he'd make it to Washington at some point.) Of course, helping to take 2 out of 3 from the Marlins goes a long way, too...
5) Fun watching the Monday Night Football game and seeing the (Boston/New England) Patriots and Bills in old-school AFL colors. (The 50th anniversary of the American Football League, is why.) The "night" game--the (L.A./San Diego) Chargers and Raiders--is also old-school AFL night. Trust me, it'll be a blast seeing these replica jerseys all season long. (Wait till you see the Dallas Texans/Kansas City Chiefs helmets.) All I ever saw was old NFL Films footage, or an old kinescope from the ABC Sports archives. Like I said, it'll be fun.
See?? I can write useless crap, just like Gregg Doyel, too!!! LMAO